A Rozy View on Life

I am John Rozelle, hear me ROAR like a dinosaur!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Wowza

There Andy and I were, walking down our street when our ears were met with an all too familiar sound on our local street, Fiorella la Guardia. That sound which so many times soothes us to sleep at night was none other the the screeching of car tires. This time the screeching was followed by yet another sound. No, it wasn't the sound of metal crunching metal, it was more the sound of a bag of potatoes hitting the floor from a 30 foot drop. This sound was in actuality a noise made by a woman who was crossing the crosswalk while an automobile driver had attempted to rush through the red light. Unfortunately (for the woman), he did not make it through the intersection before the female pedestrian did. Her body was met by the front of the driver's automobile, which was screeching to a halt. He was unable to stop in time, and based on my best eye-witness calculations, his car stopped about 8 feet past where she was standing.
She regained her footing and the driver quickly exited his vehicle to help her to the sidewalk. I suppose he could have helped her get to the sidewalk more quickly by not trying to run the red light and not running in to her, but you have to do what you can when you can. She was clearly shaken up, but was able to walk to the other side of the street.
I do not mean to use other's misfortunes for our amusement, but my desire is that we all may learn from this experience. What we learned in school is truly a worthy statement to remember, "Look both ways before crossing the street." Even if you see the little green guy on the light post across the street, LOOK BOTH WAYS.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Alexis said…

    So you "don't mean to use others' misfortunes for our amusement," huh? And yet you laughed. You tried to stop it, but the giggles just kept coming.

    Sinner.

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Bryon Scharenberg said…

    I've been hit by a car on stint. Twice.

     
  • At 1:48 AM, Blogger Matt Mikalatos said…

    I think that you are a cruel, cruel man.

    You know what I do when I am depressed? I watch the news and I laugh and laugh. Those poor yokels have it so much worse than I do. Makes me feel better.

    Okay, what I actually do is try to put on as much weight as possible so I will appear more jolly. Mmmmm, ice cream.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home